Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Day #7: Life is a Highway

The only times I have ever broken the law or been tempted to do so, I was influenced by the soon-to-be Sœur Brough. One time, about a million years ago when I was still in High School, I was driving a car full of girls, and we were having a car chase with a car full of boys. We were ahead, naturally, but then we came to a roundabout.

Roundabouts are on my top 15 list of my greatest temptations in all the world. Also on the list are cheesecake and a chance to go swing on swings in the park. So, naturally, I wasn't satisfied until we had gone around and around 5 or 6 times. I guess the guys got dizzy before we did, because they got out of the roundabout before we did, and soon we were chasing them. Anyone who's been in the dating game knows that this just isn't natural. We knew we had to get ahead of them and let them do the chasing. My memory is a little fuzzy due to the euphoria of the evening, but I believe Robyn was in the front seat of that old brown '88ish toyota camary and her suggestion caused me to instantly become either incredibly brave, or stupid. I seem to remember her saying "Pass them!" and pretty soon, I was passing on the right, in a 25 mph zone, going much faster than that in order to do the passing, in a school zone (I just wanted to add that for emphasis... it was late at night, so school wasn't in session, therefore, this point is irrelevant)!!! It was pretty much the craziest driving stunt I've ever stunted in all my life.

I think she also convinced me one time to not stop at a stop sign as well.

Robyn has this sometimes quiet, sometimes excited way of encouraging me to do something crazy and spontaneous. But then, at the same time, she has a sometimes quiet, sometimes excited way of encouraging me to do the right thing in more important matters. Robyn is the best and has always helped to bring out the best in me.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

You forgot to mention that the road was a small residential one--no right lane for passing--and that we almost hit a parked car before we'd passed the guys! That was the most exhilarating part, and I couldn't believe you actually went through with it. :)
And I'm impressed that you're always able to pull something nice and thoughtful about me out of each crazy experience we've had together. :)