Monday, March 10, 2008

Narcoleptic Kleptomaniac

Well, not quite. I don't compulsively steal things. It just seemed like a catchy title. But I have been so tired today! I was extra groggy and grumpy this morning when I rolled out of bed. I complained to Robyn all the way to school about how it was actually 7:30, not 8:30 (still adjusting to daylight savings), and no one should have to trudge nearly a mile to go to school at such an hour. In my first class, Survey of World Religions, which is quite fascinating, I was dozing off the whole time! I hope I didn't offend my professor or distract my classmates by my constant head-jerking. Right after, I went and found a couch to "study", and presently slept until my 11am class, Biology. Why I paid attention in Biology today, of all classes, I'll never understand. Then after that class and some sisterly bonding time, I found another couch to again attempt to "study", and slept until my 2pm class. After each nap, when I woke up, I felt very self-conscious, worrying that I had been talking in my sleep or had drool coming out the side of my mouth, and it was valid that I felt so, as both are regular occurances. Sleep is such a personal thing... and I always feel really awkward sleeping in front of complete strangers on campus. So why do I keep doing it? After my third nap of the day, my eyes were screaming for oxygen, and I was guiltily reminded of the instruction from my optometrist to never sleep while wearing contact lenses. But I'm not a boy scout, and I didn't bring any contact solution, so I just dealt with it and hoped my eye spasms weren't ever misinterpreted as winks.

Moral of the story: I can't ever study in my apartment (too fun), on my bed, or on a couch in a quiet corner of campus (both too comfortable). I suppose the only solution is to find a hard chair, possibly with spikes, and connect a device to my eyelids that will cause a shock or alarm each time my eyes close for more than 6 seconds. Wow. Sounds horrible. But then, nobody said studying would be fun!

2 comments:

Barney Lund said...

Still probably the most entertaining blogger that I get to read.

Ben said...

My friend John and I once designed (but sadly never produced) an alarm-clock that would go off once, then set itself on fire and jump on your face. That would do it.