Thursday, March 27, 2008

Choose to Take

Spring is here and it's so beautiful! My allergies haven't given me as much grief as they have in years past. The semester in going fairly well... I'm not drowning in everything I have to do, and I still like my classes. Especially my Medical Sociology class; it's fascinating!

I'm glad I decided to major in Sociology. Everyone asks me what I want to do with it, and I always have to admit that I have no idea, besides having the desire to travel and try to understand different cultures from my own. I don't think we pick majors to decide what we'll be doing for the rest of life. There's no way that we can predict that! A major is simply supposed to teach us a way to view the world, and we should choose one that's enjoyable. And I have! I love thinking about topics that seem so concrete and definite (such as love, pain, appropriate behaviors, etc.) in a new way, where there isn't necessarily one right answer, but many different points of view that have value for different reasons. I am opinionated and stubborn about some things, but I feel like a lot of things can be and should be seen from all sides, and we should strive to understand each point of view. You don't have to agree. You just have to understand.

On campus there have been a lot of people volunteering for Choose to Give, where student donations go back to the school through scholarships or other ways. The first day that I saw them, I gratefully ate the free hamburger and listened to their little shpeel, but as time has gone by, I feel like I've been bombarded by them. During class breaks they wave, jump up and down, and scream for my attention. "Just a dollar!" they say. "Every little bit helps". Well, I gave a dollar last year. Can we have 50 cents of it count for last year, and 50 cents of it count for now? So, instead of being annoyed and avoiding eye contact as soon as I see a flash of yellow, I've determined to Choose to Take. I'll take the hamburger, the fresh bread and the wonderful BYU brownies. I'll take the stickers and the vibrant envelopes and the pamphlets. Maybe I could make an artistic yellow collage. It's kind of fun to get free stuff just for existing. It's like it's my birthday or something.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Ah, Dianey, I sure love your face. I agree that a major doesn't mean a career comes along with it. That's why we're going to make our own... "Francis and Brough" :)

Paul Epperson said...

I'm impressed with your decision to Choose to Take. With all the giving going on, I was wondering what was really going to be done with it all. I'm glad you stepped in and balanced everything.

Ralph constantly reminds us, "You don't have to agree. You just have to understand." I believe I understand your point of view, and I mostly agree.

PS. You totally should have beaten Godzilla. I bet he probably doesn't even write a blog.