Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tap...tap...tap...crack!

Earlier this week, I was awakened at the darkish and dreary hour of 6 am by pebbles of some sort being thrown at my window. I peered out suspiciously, but with my eyes behind an outdated prescription, didn't detect the culprit. This got me thinking...

How is throwing rocks at a window romantic?

I didn't necessarily assume that the thrower was an eager young man who wanted to run off with me, but I reflected upon the idea, as this is often done in the movies or sometimes in real life by the menfolk with these same romantic intentions. What if the pebbles didn't do the job, and the thrower threw something a little too big and the window broke? Oh the potential embarrassment! "Hey, I woke you up way before you wanted to be woken up, just to give you something to clean up, make the landlord/lady angry, and stress your tight budget!" And-- perhaps this would be a worse scenario-- what if the thrower actually succeeded in awaking his sleeping beauty? I can tell you this much, I look really funny when I just wake up. My hair is crazy and I'm squinting from behind before-mentioned glasses, and I'm disoriented in my pajama pants and over-sized T-shirt. Besides all that, I have quite a temper if I'm ever unnecessarily awakened from that beautifully rare phenomenon called sleep.

Turns out my sister was out for a run and just wanted to say hi. A little less exciting, and nothing embarrassing or problematic ensued. But I want all you male readers who are hopelessly in love with me to think twice before doing such a thing... it could turn real ugly real fast.

4 comments:

Calista said...

Yeah right Diane! If it was some cute boy who wanted to say something terribly romantic, we both know you'd be able to curb your grumpiness and enjoy the moment. How do I know this? Because you, like me, are a romantic. And that is what we romantics do, we love the gushy non-sensical stuff :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to disappoint you. Next time, I'll dress up as a wonder boy who will remain anonymous... :)

Robyn said...

Okay, I'll remember that the next time a cute guy wants to know how to woo you and asks me, the omniscient best freeend, for advice. :)

Nae said...

I haven't thrown rocks to get my lover's attention, but I have used a shovel before.