Monday, June 16, 2008

The name's Nancy. Nancy Fancy Pantsy.

My coworkers and I are working on our pen-spinning skills at work right now. Sometimes the billing department is behind and we have some down time. Facebook and Youtube are blocked here, so at times like these, we have to be creative and entertain ourselves in other ways. But when you work with Gabe and Brenden-Scott, there's never a dull moment. We talk and philosophize about relationships mostly... it's great.

Entonces, I decided to blog! Yay! I work in the Funding department of a Summer Sales Security Systems Company (like the alliteration?) and I spend a lot of my time looking at names. Some people have the weirdest names! Like "Morning" or "Andrewnetta" or "Pandora", or my favorite, "Joesph". And no, I didn't spell that wrong. I hope they don't pronounce it "Joe-s-ffff", but I don't know how else you'd say that. Anyhow, when there's nothing else to talk about, we'll call out a funny name we come across and then make fun of it for a while... it passes the time. One day I kept coming across the name "Barbara", and it made me think of a boss (named Barbara) I had a couple summers ago when I worked at an ice cream parlor place. She would always call me "Nancy". The first couple of times, I corrected her, but pretty soon it was no use. It was kind of fun to have an alternate ego. "Nancy" was a hard worker who was getting a little fat from all the ice cream samples and looked way stylin' in the generic hat and apron, soiled with dribbled Earnestly Chocolate. "Nancy" was responsible and efficient and happy and amazing at what she did. "Nancy" got paid hardly anything and only kept working there for a few months.

If you ever forget my name, but for some reason feel the urge to call me "Nancy", there's a pretty big chance that I'll answer to it. And if my answer is "A cup, or a cone?", don't be alarmed. Some habits are hard to break.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it Nancy. Love it.

Barney Lund said...

There's something you should know, Nancy. You're a great writer...and you should probably be a writer.

That's all.

Thanks, Nance.

Nae said...

So Nancy, I know this girl named Diane. She is SOOOO amazing. I think you two could be really good friends!

Mrs. Webb said...

Hello! :)