Monday, May 12, 2008

Highlights from Chicago

From the road. I love my camera! What a beautiful world we live in! How fun to document it!

These are not necessarily in chronological order...
I drove 22 hours to Chicago with my parents and two of my brothers. Mary flew and met us there, and my oldest brother drove from Indiana with his family and met us there as well. We visited people that Mary taught on her mission, and then did some touristy stuff in the city. It was a really cool experience and I got to practice my Spanish a lot. The people were so kind and encouraging. It was a great experience.


My brother John E. and my nephew James pretending to be seagulls. "Mine, mine, mine!"


If you squint you could probably see the word "Blog". I took it as a command from a higher source and eventually obeyed.

Mary, Steve and I on our way to the temple. We're so attractive.

The Chicago Illinois temple. Gorgeous! That night it rained and was really windy but not cold, and I had a lot of time to think while waiting for my family to finish up (I did baptisms).

Jimmy Jim Jim...He's definitely his father's son.

These kids were a riot. My brother John E., niece: Paige, and nephew: James all doing John E.'s trademark face that he does each time he sees the camera come out.

So, Paige must've liked the taste of her tights...

:D


One of the highlights was definitely taking turns naming Steve's mustache. The aquarium was really cool too: dolphins, whales, penguins, sea otters, sting rays, etc.


Probably my favorite part of the trip was seeing Frank Lloyd Wright's house. I didn't take pictures of it because cameras weren't allowed, but this is a house that he designed in the neighborhood.

A lamppost in the same neighborhood. It was so beautiful outside: drizzly, green, with a lot of trees. Basically a Utah girl's paradise.

This was at the museum of Science and Industry. Mary, the should've-been Dairy Princess, is so photogenic, she looks great even next to Bessie!

Look how tall I am! No, it is not a trick mirror. And no, my torso and legs are not awkwardly out of proportion...

Kind of a "no duh".

A cool shot of the Sears Tower from a distance.


Before going up to the top of the Sears Tower.


The view from the top of the Sears Tower. I felt like I was in a chick flick or something, and that the man of my dreams would come at any minute. He... didn't. :(

Mary and I at the top... the background is a little hard to see.

Me and Louis. There were tributes to famous people and things of Chicago at the top of the Sears Tower.


This was my favorite painting in the Art Institute of Chicago. It was done on canvas and there are actual holes in it and it's tied up in knots... the picture doesn't do it justice. I just felt like I knew precisely what the artist was feeling. It was so descriptive! You can almost feel his anguish, not that I pretend to ever have felt anguish quite like that.

This is a wire fence in the Art Institute. Pretty cool...

We went to a Chicago Cubs Game! Very fun, besides the fact that my appendages quickly became numb due to the cold, and the beer drinkers were a bit rambunctious for comfort. That hat cost about $20 too much.


John E. got tired, and was too heavy to carry on one's back...

Saying "Adios" and "Hasta Luego" to my new amigos JJ and Pepe. Mary taught them on her mission.

This was on the way home. I just wanted to show how much room John E. commandeered in the back seat.

It was an awesome trip! I loved spending time with my family in and around the windy city!

2 comments:

Barney Lund said...

Great post, Diane, and I loved the pictures...especially a few select ones. :)

Nae said...

Wow, Diane, you can be taller than me in Chicago! Way to go, oh short one. :) I am seriously loving all of those pictures. Diane, way to go. And your photography skills blew me away, especially that one looking at the Sears Tower from the car. Sheesh, girl! I miss you. :)