Friday, May 2, 2008

Chicago: Chapter X

Snowed In: South Dakota Style

The policemen are giving out tickets to people who are trying to drive. Not that we could anyway... the car is covered entirely by an uninterrupted sheet of ice, and the snow drifts from the hotel's door to the car are treacherous. I think that my dad is the bravest man (at least this side of the Mississippi) for retrieving our left baggage, which provided a little more comfort to those who didn't realize they'd be staying in this hotel for more than 12 hours. Honestly though, I'm glad to be stuck here. The past two days, I've been feeling really sick and I feel I've been... I don't think that "suffering" is too strong a word... in the car for about 16 hours. I'm glad to be stuck in a place where there's a bed and a bathroom and all the applesauce cups I could ever hope for. I've felt three emotions over the past three days: the desire to hurl, all worn out, and intense pain. I'm gonna be really excited when it's all over.

Snow on May 2nd? The first thing I think of is Christmas in July, but Christmas is actually fun. I hope it doesn't become "Hanukkah in May"... I don't think I could take another 5 crazy nights.

2 comments:

Paul Epperson said...

Last December, while I was driving from Virginia to Idaho with my brother's wife and her parents, and their two big dogs and three cats, we were caught in a snow storm. This caused us to be stranded in a motel in North Platte, Nebraska for three days. I spent a lot of time in the lobby working on the puzzles. I wanted it to turn into one of those scenes from a movie when the group of people snowed in a motel become a big family and have a wonderful experience together. It didn't happen. I've been waiting for my next chance to try it and I guess I could have gone with you to South Dakota.

I hope you feel better. And try to make the best of your experience. Everyone is waiting for you to get back home!

tbone said...

Diane, I loved your comment you left the other day! haha, no really...what you described is what I feel every time I take an lsat. Its ridiculous. Ps. sorry about the long car ride, that seriously sounds like no fun.