Monday, May 10, 2010

Hola de Lindo RioLindo

How amazing to talk to you all on the phone! It was pretty strange speaking in English but I loved hearing how all of you are! The kids sounded the same to me, except Emily... so grown up I called her Rachel! I couldn't believe how fast the hour flew by.

Today we had a preparation day with the whole zone. We went to Cojan which is a big power plant... 40% of the power in Honduras is generated by the water there. The Sisters in Santa Cruz (Meese and Nunez) hosted us with the Urbina family... they are great (a family of 6? returned missionaries) It was beautiful and really fun to be there. Honduras is so beautiful. I can't complain. :)

We had an activity this week which was put together in a few days (it was in the mind of Hermana Gutierrez until the end) and we had a lot of people come! It was almost the first time that this branch has had a missionary activity. We taught the plan of salvation by having one room in the church represent the telestial kingdom, one the terrestia kingdom and one the celestial kingdom. The Rivas family (they are great! Always willing to give references and help with baptisms) were all dressed in white and bore their testimonies in the "celestial kingdom". It was a lot of work to put it all together but a good experience and I know the Argeta family as well as the other investigators we had there were able to feel the Spirit.

I feel like in this area I'm seeing how a whole branch can come together and work hard for the righteous cause. A main part of this activity was to have a plane which would "crash" and then all those who were "dead" would enter the church and go to the "telestial" kingdom. We had everything figured out... the food, the parts that members of the branch would play, everything, and the night before the activity (Thursday) we realized that our branch President's son hadn't done anything to create the airplane. We had six poster size papers to work with and 3 markers. My companion was exhausted with everything we had done to plan, and I've never drawn a plane before but I got working on it, and with the help of the Varela family we were able to finish in time. TACA is for the airlines here in Central America but the photo says TAKA because Osmond (another son of the Varela family) got his hands on that part of it. :) We also covered the walls in the rooms with black trash bags and dozens of stars that Hermana Gutierrez and I cut out. It was a lot of work and kind of a disappointment that it was taken apart in just a few minutes, but I know it meant a lot to the members in this area to have this activity and it was a good experience. And I've learned how to do it for next time (and to plan a little better and more in advance... :) )

Funny story: we were with the Argeta family and Senin (the head of the family) had a question about the priesthood as he saw another brother in the ward be sustained to receive it on Sunday. I began to explain what the priesthood is and how it was restored through the prophet Joseph Smith and Maira (the wife) interjected and asked who was sitting next to him (meaning the brother in the ward who received the priesthood). Hermana Gutierrez didn't understand and said "Emma Smith". We all laughed quite a while. They are progressing, and we love teaching them.

Anyway, I'm doing well and learning to have more empathy. Something I didn't get a chance to share on the phone when Steve asked me how I normally contact people is something super cute that Hermana Gutierrez does. She pulls out her name tag a little ways and says "The church has a sign that says this. This is my name, but this is the name of the church". :) Every missionary shares the gospel in their own way, but it's the same gospel and what a privilege it is to be here and share it! I love it, I love seeing people feel the Spirit, and I love that I have trials, because I know the Lord is teaching and preparing me for the future.

Take care, all! Hasta proximo lunes
XOXOX Hermana Francis

No comments: