Monday, April 14, 2008

"Good morning! How are your Histamines?"

Those were Robyn’s first words to me this morning. My allergies have been really bad especially today but over the past few days. It’s the only thing I can’t stand about this time of year. It frustrates me that it can be so beautiful outside, but I feel so crummy inside. And it doesn’t help that I have a really really loud sneeze that you can hear all the way over in Iceland (I assume… I’ve never actually tested the loudness of it).

But besides my allergies and the test I bombed today, it’s been a really good Monday. I only have two more classes to go to before beautifully unstructured time, which means pretending to study, or in other word: procrastinating.
I read a scripture today that really applied to me and this bad habit.

Helaman 13:38 says,
“But behold, your days of probation are past; ye have procrastinated the day of your salvation until it is everlastingly too late, and your destruction is made sure; yea, for ye have sought all the days of your lives for that which ye could not obtain; and ye have sought for happiness in doing iniquity, which thing is contrary to the nature of that righteousness which is in our great and Eternal Head.”

That’s how I felt in the testing center today: destroyed and like it was everlastingly too late. And it was.

It’s interesting how enticing procrastinating is. I don’t think procrastinating is an “iniquity” necessarily (in school matters); often I do good things instead of my homework. I just don’t prioritize right. School has never been easy or fun for me (as it is for Robyn and other such geniuses) and I’d rather do things I can more easily do (socialize mostly). I put studying off just because I’d rather do anything else. But I’ve discovered that the times when I really prepare for a test or a paper and do a great job make me so much happier than the minute amount of pleasure I get from wasting time. And I don’t know if I could even call it pleasure, since I have the paper or studying on my mind the whole time.

I think this is a lesson that many people learned long ago. But I’m usually a late bloomer. I guess it’s good that I’m learning from my mistakes.

Hooray for Spring! I can’t wait to poison some pigeons in the park. Give me a call if you’d like to join me… it’s a riot!

2 comments:

Paul Epperson said...

Poison pigeons in the park? I have to say I was surprised to hear that you're interested in that kind of thing and you didn't even have it in your top 15.

I always have the dream that one day I will begin an assignment the day that it is assigned. Unfortunately I have not reached that point yet. Maybe that's what being perfect is like.

Anonymous said...

Matthias, Suzie and Mary all thoroughly enjoyed this blog post. Write more!!!

Love ya dianey