Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Oh Crazy Honduras, Le Quiero

This was a great and crazy week!

This week,
Learned how to squeeze juice out of sugar cane and meanwhile testified of God´s love for us in things great and small (like sugar cane! mmm.)
Watched a boot maker make handmade boots (redundant... sorry)
Elder Beard from the Park Stake was transferred into the area and is our Zone leader
Helped Bro. Cervantes with family history... it´s only a matter of time, I know he´ll be active again
Saw both a funeral procession and a baby being born in the same day... both in the street and both in the bed of a truck
And... we had a baptism!

Elvin Nahum Arita (11 years old)... I will never forget his baptism. Saturday the 2nd of January.

When we woke up that morning none of the lights worked in the whole town. And it was raining. Cows blocked the path from our casa and when we finally got to the church only Nahum and Pres. Rodriguez were there, waiting for us (we were late). Also the church had no running water so there was no way to fill the font. Or so we thought!

Nahum was so put out when we were thinking we´d have to baptize him another day. So, Pres. Rodriguez suggested we hand fill the font. With excitement and faith we went to work.

Soon members of the branch showed up and we all worked together, bringing water from a source behind the church in with buckets. It was fun and took a long time, but no one got sick from the rain.

I feel like it was a good experience for all to work hard to welcome in Nahum to the branch. It was crazy watching Nahum who is smaller than John E. bringing in buckets of water bigger than himself for his own baptizm. He is already so strong and dedicated to the gospel. I know he will serve a mission someday.

When he shared his testimony, all he said was that he felt so happy when he entered the water, and then he started to laugh because he couldn´t express his joy. Hna. Rosales and I cried. The spirit was very strong. I know that Nahum is so loved by our Heavenly Father! We are working with his mom and sister and the Spirit is always there in our lessons with them. I have great hopè that they will join the church as well, and that their family can enjoy blessings together. Nahum is an example for them!

I love this work! I´m trying my best every day. Spanish is coming. Sorry this is short... the internet stopped working (pretty common here..) and erased my last attempt. Oh how I´m learning patience. =)

I´ve noticed mini pride cycles in myself... I need to learn humility as well.

The attached picture is Nahum, us, and Pres. Rodriguez. He is incredible and I´m so grateful for his help in missionary work. So faithful. We´re all wet from the rain and the lugging of the buckets. Hooray!

Love you all!
Hermana Francis
Xoxoxoxoxox

No comments: