Thursday, January 28, 2010

Good Week

It was a good week! Some highlights:

On Thursday when we do our weekly planning, the Jehovah´s witnesses came tracting to our door. We listened to their message and then shared the message of the restoration. I found it interesting and was happy to share the memorized 1st vision. A man who sells vegetables door to door from his wheelbarrow stopped to listen only for that part. I believe everything happens for a reason.

One night we stopped for ice cream on the way home and saw some people from the States! I started talking to them and it was so strange to speak in English! (´We are missionaries from the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints´ doesn´t quite roll of my tongue like ´Somos misioneras de la iglesia de JesuCristo de los Santos de los Ultimos Dias´) They´re from Pennsylvania and here for a medical mission, as well as starting up a library in this town. As I reached for a pamphlet I realized I only had things in Spanish, but luckily one of them speaks enough. It was funny... I didn´t realize the melting ice cream in my hand... I was so excited.

I saw some children sledding down the road with a piece of styrophome, an empty gasoline carton, and empty plastic soda pop cartons (what are those things called?) as their sleds. Poor little things, they don´t have snow to cushion when they crash. But they still were having a great time.

We found a family!! Mom´s prayers (and mine) are being answered! They are the family Contreras and our lessons with them have gone really well. The father was a preacher in the Catholic church for several years but got involved with alcohol and was excommunicated (I think? I´m not exactly sure what happened.) Anyhow, he hasn´t been in any church for 14 years but is graciously accepting everything we say and inviting his family to listen as well. When we introduced ourselves to him, he was very open and we told him of the hope we can gain through repentance and living the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I have faith that they will be baptized and be very strong and a big help in the work in this little branch.

Also, happy happy news! You know how I always talk about the family Cervantes? The whole family was at church on Sunday! We´re so happy and proud of them. It´s amazing to see changes in lives of people and to see the love of God for them. Hna. Cervantes is always studying the Book of Mormon and her church manuals and Hno. Cervantes led their family home evening last night. !

Attached is a picture of me making Baleadas with Hna. Cervantes and Hno. Cervantes was there (after work.. he works as a news anchor).

I´m learning so much and yet feel like I´m learning so slowly at the same time. But I have to be patient with myself. What a privilege to be here and to really be a representative of Jesus Christ. I´m trying my best to live up to the responsibility.

I love you all so very much. You´re in my prayers. Please never worry about me. I´m happy, healthy, and learning more how to be wise.

Xoxoxoxoxox Hna. Francis

No comments: