Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Oh Hermanos Adios, Pues Adios

Hello all! Thank you for your love and support! I received letters from mom, Aunt Janet, and the Judds today. I´ve always pleasantly surprised to see how many people still remember me back home. (smiley face)

This is my last week at the MTC, and then here comes the field! I was going to say, ´here comes the real thing´, but it has been pretty real so far. It is amazing to feel the spirit so strong and to have my testimony so strengthened.

Today we had an incredible devotional with Elder Costa from the 70. I was in a group of 6 (including Hermana Crossland who knows the Brough family) and we sang ¨This is the Christ¨in Spanish. The whole meeting was in Spanish, but because the Spirit was there I was able to understand all but a few words. He converted to the church after many years of having a hard heart, but being touched deeply by the Joseph Smith story decided to study and pray about it. He read in JSH for 14 hours, the next day was sitting on the Hermana´s porch, and took the first 3 lessons that day, the next 4 the next day, and had his baptisimal interview that night. He is an amazing man. The spirit was very strong! He opened his talk with a question and answer session, and when no one asked anything I rose my hand and
asked in Spanish what he had studied from the Book of Mormon this morning. He said they´ve been studying out of the New Testament lately but he reads 2 Ne. 31 20 every day. He is a powerful man.

He also cross referenced D&C 84 88 with 1 Ne 3 7. Look them up!

Tomorrow we have divisions again! I´ve been hoping I will be more brave and prepared this time. Pray for me that I will be able to bring some Guatemalans unto Christ before I fly out to Honduras next week.

Funny story... Hermana Romero and I have been having much better companionship studies these days. This week though, we were sharing some personal experiences, when suddenly a crash came from the ceiling a little ways down the hall and we saw a foot. I guess there were men working in the attic. You never know what will happen here... and it isn´t even crazy yet!

In class this week, Family Home Evening came up, and Hermana Leonardo (or teacher who served her mission in Temple Square) asked how many had FHE growing up. Only 3 of us. Out of 10. Wow. I am so grateful for you, and how I was raised in this gospel with so much righteous consistency. I think of Elder Bednar´s words from this last conference often and want to be a consistent, progressing, servant of the Lord.

I studied Temperance this morning... just felt it was something I needed to have more of, because most days are great, but if I have anything wrong happen, I´m not great at continuing to give my all, which is so important in this work!

Still loving the Book of Mormon, which I´m reading every day. I´m in Alma 8 right now, and it is making so much more sense as I´m really focusing on the stories and the chapters in context with each other.

This email doesn´t even express ´a hundredth part´of how I feel this week, but I need to go now. I love you all! I know the Lord is looking after me and I will be protected as I go to the field. This has been an incredible experience to be here! President and Sister Christensen are the best (she is my mom away from home) and I think my spanish has improved (sure hope so!!) I love the gospel, I love the Lord, I love being a missionary. I´ve been able to see some changes in me, and I hope and pray to continue to change as I come to be what the Lord wants for me to be.

I love you! Take care!!

Hermana Francis

No comments: