Monday, November 30, 2009

NOW I've missed Thanksgiving...ha ha

Hi familia! ¿Cómo están? Things are great for Hermanita Francis!

This week we had a baptism! Can you believe it? I´ve been here less than 2 weeks and already a baptism.

Her name is Delmis, she is 10 years old, doesn´t know her father, birthday or place, and her mom had to sign the baptisimal form with a thumbprint. But she knows the gospel is true and is changing her heart. The baptisimal dress was too big, she hadn´t even met Alfondo who baptised her, and everyone wore casual clothes except for Hermana Rosales and me. It was different, and yet the spirit was there. Hermana Rosales and I sang Joseph Smith´s 1st prayer to the tune of Come thou Fount.

An Elder Durfee in our District told me that I shouldn´t expect to get any snail mail here, that he´s been here for 4 months and hasn´t gotten a thing. And then on Saturday I received a letter from mom dated Nov. 8th. Yay for pouch! Thank you!!

This week we went to the house of the Branch President for a mission call opening. It was crazy... you know how mission call openings are super exciting in Utah? They are super sad here. I´ve never heard ¨Called To Serve¨ sung so much like a death march. He was called to the Guatemala South mission and doesn´t go til March.

This week I heard my first Gekko and tried my first sugar cane! Also I took less time washing my clothes in the Pila, but still it´s pretty hard. I´m so happy for this experience!!

Every time we go to the houses of the members I think of 1 Ne 2 verse 20, along with many other verses in the BOM which say that the righteous will prosper in the land. In general it´s easy to see who is faithful and who isn´t just by their standard of living. Very interesting.

We brought 8 investigators to church on Sunday, and 2 more were there with members. Out of those 8, 7 were children. It was fun and exciting to accompany them to church, and also a little crazy keeping track of everyone. We´re going to work more with their parents and hopefully convert families who can all come to church together.

We stayed in the apartment Sunday afternoon (from 1pm until Monday) because of council from President Cruz. I don´t really know what is going on with Politics, but we had time to write letters, and study lots.

I love you all so much! I´m learning lots and the language is coming slowly but surely I hope. I just want to help the work along, not be an obstacle for my companion. She is ever patient though, and we´re having fun! She´s a great friend.

I love you all (again)... (emphasis!). Take care and have a great weeK!

Hermana Francis

No comments: