Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The things I do for a little extra credit...

I went to the Testing Center with a quest. I didn’t have any tests to take, but I thought that this was the ideal place to go and break a social norm. I sat down next to a young-looking guy and got out my notes and book and looked as if I was studying and cramming. It was 8:45pm, and the last tests are handed out at 9, so if I really did have a test, it would make sense that I was anxious, like I had left it to the last minute. It was quiet and there were others nearby, also cramming for their exams. After about 3 minutes of my pseudo-study, I looked over at before-mentioned guy and said, “Excuse me”. He looked up. And so did everyone within earshot. Our dialog went something like this:
Diane: “Hey, um… I’m really nervous about this test. Would you give me a kiss for good luck?” (I tapped my cheek with my finger and tried to have a cute smile on my face)
Random Guy (with color creeping to his face): “No, I can’t.”
D: “Oh.” (in my mind, ‘"Can't"?! I didn’t even do a ring check. I thought he was a Freshman. I hope he’s not married. Ha! It doesn’t matter! I’m breaking a social norm! Did he not see my finger tapping my cheek? Did he think I meant a real smacker? Ha ha, this is funny!')
RG (blushing furiously now): “I’m sorry!”
D: “It’s okay. Bye!”
And I got up and went up the stairs. I waited about thirty seconds and then walked down them again, glancing to see if he was looking, but he had his head down and was studying (I presume) so I had safe passage out of the building.
When I got out of the testing center, I laughed probably a little too loudly. I was proud of myself that I had gotten up enough courage to do it. I felt a little bit dumb, but mostly just smiled at his reaction. It’s fun to let strangers know that you’re a little bit odd. My friends already know.

4 comments:

Gabe said...

I love this! Was this for your class or just.. for fun?

tbone said...

oh man. i'm doing this for every test now. hahaha! good work diane.

emi. said...

i'm also a fan of your blog. actually a little jealous. thank you for posting on my blog--prop 8 needs as much attention as it can get.

Roo said...

Oh my word. I cannot even think of words to explain how I feel after reading this. You are a legend. You are my hero.

I love you.