Saturday, September 27, 2008

Good morning... er... afternoon...

This morning when I finally woke up, I looked at the time and a guilty, surprised laugh burst out of me. 10:41am. I almost beat myself up. If I had woken up at 7, I probably would've gone running, showered and gotten ready for the day, eaten breakfast, read my scriptures, and maybe done some homework or cleaned up the kitchen by 10:41. But instead, I couldn't stop smiling, as I realized that this time in my life is probably the only time I'll ever get away with doing this.

When I was young, I would be prevented from sleeping in each Saturday by one of four ways:
1) Saturday Cartoons. My favorite was Bobby's World. It was easy to jump out of bed and run over to the TV and plop down a little too close to it with anticipation. It was almost like Christmas, but it came every Saturday!
2) My dear sister, bless her heart, jumping on me, singing a shrill version of a song that she got from girl's camp or something: "GOOD MORNING TO YOU!" and something about annoying little birds singing "sweetly" in the trees. Yeah. I wanted to kill her.
3) My mom had the strange ability of being able to wake me just by standing at the door and quietly saying my name. She would say it with love, but perhaps a note of disappointment that I was still in bed. Guilt trip!
4) The smell of hot, fresh waffles wafting into my bedroom. This was my favorite and perhaps the most manipulative tactic. Or strategy. I'm not sure that I know the difference between those two. Anyway, who can stay sleeping when they hear the clanging of pots and pans in the kitchen, knowing that homemade waffles and syrup are waiting to be consumed?

So there's a review of my past.
What about my future?

1) I might go on a mission. And if I do, I'm planning to be obedient. That means bed at 10pm and waking up at 6am every single day for a year and a half.
2) I'm hoping I get married some day. And when I do, I imagine feeling self-conscious about sleeping in too much. I won't want my husband thinking I'm lazy. I'll need to get up to make him breakfast or clean the house or do other typical wife-y things.
3) Eventually I'll be a mom... depending on 2). Mom's never get to sleep in. They never even get to sleep for most of their lives because of crying babies and worrying about rebellious teenagers.
4) When I'm an old woman, sleeping won't be as easy. Insomnia is common as the body wears out.

Wow. Both the past and the future look bleak as far as sleeping in goes. And that's why I smiled so much today. I stuck it to the man! "The man" is my sister, my mom, my future husband, my future kids, the media, food, and old people. I feel great.

Now it's about noon and all I've done is showered and blogged. Time for brunch.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

All right! Way to stick it to the man. :) I've thought similar things about savoring this chunk of life and the opportunities to sleep in while I still can. Thanks for the reminder. Please don't wake me up early tomorrow. :)
And, by the way, you did an amazing job cleaning the apartment, so your morning wasn't as lazy as you make it seem.

Barney Lund said...

I was going to say some quip about how I can sympathize about the "Good morning to you" song, but since we've been married, I don't know that I've heard that song more than once or twice...and I loved it. : )