Tuesday, July 22, 2008

An Analysis of the Hippo-cryte

Those who know me well have heard me say "Man! They're (or "I'm'") such a hypocrite... emphasis on the hippo!" We all thought that I was just being silly. And then I realized how interesting it can be to compare the two.

1. Weight
  • Hippos are fat.
  • Although there is no proof linking hypocrites and obesity, there is a correlation. Hypocrisy is viewed negatively in our culture, and so is obesity.
2. Buoyancy
  • Hippos float on water.
  • So do hypocrites. And witches. And wood.
3. Danger
  • Hippos are surprisingly fierce. They can run short distances at 30mph, and are considered to be "Africa's most dangerous animal, and [are] among the most aggressive animals in the world."(-Wikipedia)
  • Nobody suspects a hypocrite to be dangerous at first. Their hypocritical behaviors surprise you and make you angry because it was something unexpected. And although they can't always physically destroy you, their words and actions can hurt.
There are also some differences.

1. Ser vs. Estar
  • A Hippo is a hippo. It has always been a hippo. It was born a hippo and will die a hippo and will never be a gazelle or a rhino or an elephant.
  • Although there are some that have the reputation of being a hypocrite, that is still subjective and due to change because of personal experiences with that person. Everyone is hypocritical at times, but people have the ability to learn from mistakes and become the opposite. Like a hypercryte.
2. Spelling
  • Hippo
  • Hypo
Those are the only differences I can think of. But seriously, when I was thinking about hypocrites, I thought of how some people are really called hypocrites. When does someone go from a person who occasionally makes hypocritical mistakes to a hypocrite? I really think it's when a personal grudge is in the equation. I think we need to remember that people aren't perfect and we should cut each other a little bit of slack. I believe that people are generally good and not spiteful, that sometimes we just make mistakes. Don't be offended and give them/us the benefit of the doubt. But don't be so accepting of the hippos... I know they're cute but the fences at the zoo are there for a reason.

2 comments:

Nae said...

Dianey, that was a very thought-provoking comment...and now I've got some cool connections to draw during my many hours of ponder-time here at work.

And I want to add the story (that may or may not be true) of "that one guy" watching his one friend being eaten by a hippo. He swears it's true. If it is, we might need to be careful. Pretty sure that hypos could eat people, too.

Robyn said...

The Ser vs. Estar category was my favorite. :) Good post, Dianey!