Thursday, February 28, 2008

Giving In

Well, it happened. I've resisted for so long, but finally half of me gave in to the other. I've seen this trend other times, so I'm surprised that I'm surprised that I gave in. It happened with Facebook, my cell phone, my preferred music genre, as well as some of the current fashions of today. As much as I want to be different, a more persuasive, curious part of me wants to see what all the hype is about. By the time I conform, however, I've usually become one of the last to do so, and the norms begin to change again. And the cycle continues.

As a sociology major, I am learning of the major effect that society has on the individual. I'm sure if a sociologist were to have observed me, my influences, and those whom I associate with, they would've predicted that it was only a matter of time. Don't get me wrong, I believe in the power of personal choice. But in this circumstance, as in so many others, the social forces were very strong in effecting my behavior.

I can't promise that I'll post often. My posts will be sporadic and probably quite strange. But, as a virtual representation of me and my mind, I suppose they will have to be.

6 comments:

Keith said...

Yahoooo! You'll have fun, Dianey face. I'm already subscribed.

Barney Lund said...

Subscribed as well! Keep it up, and link on into our little network. :)

Nae said...

Hee hee hee...Dianey Face's face! I like it! The face is beautiful, and so is the Diane! Now that you have a blog too we won't have to ask each other how our day was when we get home! Wait...

Robyn said...

You sound so technical and professional in describing your acquiescence, just like a sociologist. :) And I love the title of your blog.

Keith said...

Diane, it's now your job to help pressure others to join us.

Gabe said...

I almost didn't write this comment, as the test of my humanhood looked quite difficult... ahdxzvc blech. Welcome to the community!