Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hello from Paradise!

Hello all! What a wonderful and super rapido week! I can´t believe it´s already preparation day again.

I still LOVE being here. I feel so honored and blessed to have the opportunity to serve the Lord with all my heart, might, mind and strength. I´ve realized that this is just a preparation for me to learn how to do this for the rest of my life. And what joy is in store when we seek to do God´s will! I am so very happy.

I now realize that in my last email I said nothing about food, which was silly of me. The food is really really good. Sometimes it does funny things to our Norteamericano stomaches, but in general, but nothing worth complaining about or worrying about. We have eggs and beans a lot, nearly every day for breakfast. One day this week, along with our eggs and beans, we also had nachos and chocolate cake! Crazy. I thought maybe John E. would enjoy it. Ñ) (... that´s what happens when I try to do a smiley face... I guess you´ll just have to imagine my grin. )

We also have amazing ice cream here, offered at every meal except for breakfast, every day! At Provo we only had it Wednesday and Sunday nights! Yep, we´re lucky. One of my teachers, Hermana Leonardo figured that if we had it for every meal it would be 80 something ice creams... so I cut down to the odd days like Marcie does, and only at lunch times. I don´t want to be too gordita.

Often I wake up before the alarm, and when I do I smile because it means I have extra time to read the Book of Mormon. I´m reading it sequentially and am in 2 Ne. 21 now. In the past I´ve always skimmed or skipped over the Isaiah chapters, thinking they were only for deep thinkers like Dad, but as I have sought the Holy Ghost to accompany me in studying, I´ve been able to apply and understand a lot more than the past. Specifically, one morning I went over and sat on our little window sill slash seat and read with a beautiful view of the Guatemala City temple, and the early morning sun. I read in 2 Ne 12 verse 2 which talks about nations flowing unto the temple. I thought about the people we´ve met going to the temple here, from Honduras, Guatemala, and other countries in Central America, and what a sacrifice they make to come. At least 2 faithful members I´ve talked to (at different times) have said they´ve gotten up around 1 am, taken a bus for several hours, and attended several sessions. I am so touched by the sacifice of the people here.

Speaking of sacrifice, we had an amazing experience on Sunday where we sat at small tables with mixed groups... 4 missionaries from different districts, and had a chance to ask questions and learn about some questions of the soul and special experiences that these missionaries have had before and so far on the mission. I had one Norteamericano Elder who has been here 3 more weeks than me, and 2 Latino Elders. I was so touched by all the stories told, and by the end we were all in tears, thinking about the sacrifices these wonderful Latino Elders have made to be here, and what an important cause this is. I absolutely love speaking and listening to Spanish, and my only frustration is not being able to understand as much as I want to. Usually I can express what I want to say by talking around a word or by the help of who ever I´m talking to, but I just want to know every word from these amazing people.

I gain so much strength when I think of my family, and ancestors, and their slash your faithfulness to the gospel. Thank you for your good example. I know that Grandma Ellsworth is here as my companion, and for her presence and help, I´m grateful.

Speaking of companions, I know I raved about her last week, but I love working with Hermana Romero. She´s very fun to be around, works hard, teaches very well, and she is so sincere. I want to be able to express my love to people with words the way she does.

I had a question brewing in me this week, wondering if everyone back home was doing alright, and if yáll (ha ha.. that´s a new way to write it!) know how much I love you. I know this is my time to focus and learn how to love the people of Guatemala and soon Honduras, but I want to be sure you all know how much I love you, that I´m praying with faith for you specifically, and that I appreciate you and all you´ve done to help prepare me for this, the Lord´s mission, and for your support now. So, just never forget it. ¿Está bien?

I love you!
XOXOXOXOX

Hermana Francis

No comments: